Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Prayer Beads for a Protestant

"Wait, are you going to pray the Rosary on that thing?"

No, I don't pray the Rosary, I'm Protestant.

"So if you're not Catholic, why would you use beads to pray?"

Disclaimer: this conversation didn't actually happen. This is more of a projection of how I would think it would play out if it did ever come up.
And since I have had a discussion recently about prayer, I decided I may as well explain this part of my prayer routine to the world...or at least to the four people who may read this blog.

But first, some background (because who doesn't love a good backstory, am I right?)

  I have always been curious about Rosaries, and praying with them. Several of my good friends are Catholic, and I can't count the number of rosaries I've seen in cars, on nightstands, in purses, and everywhere else in their possession. Some are ornate and made of beautiful beads, while others are made of simple string, knotted together.

To a freestyle praying Protestant, the idea of praying rote prayers, and even with a physical object seemed so very mysterious and interesting, yet rather strange as well. I mean, we really only pray the Lord's prayer, and creed.

Then one day, I stumbled upon a link to a blog on Facebook, for these things called prayer beads, that one of my protestant friends had posted about. The writer had described the use of prayer beads so beautifully, discussing how she uses them to pray for people, situations, even things in her own life.

I am a very tactile person, so the idea of having something physical to pray with, to keep me on track was an attractive idea. 

But, you might argue, "Protestants can't use something so very Catholic...right? I mean, they use it to ask for Mary's intercession. That is definitely something Protestants won't do," and you'd be right, but rote prayers, rejections of Catholic traditions, and Catholics vs. Protestants will have to wait for another day.

Yet who's to say that Protestants can't use prayer beads for a different type of prayer?

Now, of course, these are simply a tool used to help me with prayer. You don't have to use beads to be able to pray "properly". I don't use them every night, and certainly not every time I pray.
I used the beads from my Mom's old and broken Rosary (she grew up Catholic) and other beads and a cross I had at home to make my own. I like it, but it's nothing too special.
So here are 5 thoughts on why I use prayer beads.

1. They help me to focus.
    To easily, I begin to pray for those around me, or for certain problems, and within 5 minutes, my mind wanders to another dimension in which I'm married to Chris Evans and have a house with a porch. When I pray with my beads, I am able to focus, because each bead is a prayer for a different person or group, and I don't move on to the next bead until I finish my thoughts.

2. They help me organize my prayers.
   For me, each section of my beads is a different group. One for my family, one for friends, another for the country, my church, missions, etc. As I pray through each section, usually each person getting a bead, I thank the Lord for each of those things, before moving into praying for that group. I have at least nine individual prayers for each group, and that way, I don't usually forget a group I'm praying for, or forget to thank God for that group. My mind is more organized, and it helps to actively think about who and what I'm praying for.

3. They give my hands something to do.
    As I said before, I am a tactile person. I play with my rings, my bracelets, my sleeves, and everything else that's near me when I'm thinking or listening. When I pray with my beads, they give me something to do with my hands, and to fiddle with, so I am able to concentrate.

4. They give me prayer stamina.
    Part of my problem here is that I tend to lay in bed when I pray. After about five minutes, my mind wanders, and I drop off to sleep. The combination of kneeling while I pray, and using the beads, helps me to keep on track, and to pray for those on my list, which makes for a longer time in communication with the Lord.

5. Finally, they help remind me of what is important, and how I should be thankful.
    As I pray for my friends, my family members, and other issues in my own life, I am reminded of all of the blessings and gifts that the Lord has given me, and how he has blessed me. The fact that I can use nine beads to pray for my family members makes me thankful I have such a big family. The fact that I pray for my country, or for my church family, or anyone else brings to mind the fact that they are in my life, and I am blessed to have them.

When we spend time in prayer, we are spending time with God, the creator of the universe. He's not only willing, but loves to hear us speak to him, and to converse with us in a thousand different ways. It's truly incredible to think that when I pray, the One who makes the Earth spin, and calls the stars by name listens to my little voice. His amazing Grace envelops me, and helps me to know that I am His.
That is a comforting thought.

Hanna  Elizabeth
   

No comments:

Post a Comment