Sunday, May 8, 2016

Trust in the Lord with All Your Heart

This morning, I was challenged with a question:

How often do I forget to trust in the Lord?

How often do I waste my time worrying, wondering, and chafing at God's timing, instead of trusting in his will for my life?
Lately, I have been struggling with a finance issue, which I could not find a way to solve. For days it sat at the back of my mind, the little voice of fear whispering words of worry, regret, and prompting me to forget all of the times that the Lord has brought me through with His mighty hand. For days I struggled to fix the problem on my own, seeking to find a solution which was easy and manageable, but nothing ever seemed to quite work out.
     Then the Lord began reminding me, in that quiet, gentle way he likes to do, of all the times he has come through for me, provided for me, and guided me down my path. It hasn't been easy, and the solutions often came in forms that I didn't expect or want right away. Yet through it all, He always, always, always has provided in one way or another. I've seen this work in the lives of many others as well.
I can say with confidence that he will again.

So this morning as I was asked this question, I wondered: if the Lord provides in some way every time I need him, why isn't my immediate response to trust?
   It reminds me of the story in Matthew 8, when Jesus calms the storm. The passage from Matthew 8:23-26 came to mind:

And when he got into the boat, his disciples followed him. And behold, there arose a great storm on the sea, so that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but he was asleep. And they went and woke him, saying, “Save us, Lord; we are perishing.” And he said to them, “Why are you afraid, O you of little faith?” Then he rose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm.

Keep in mind that this was immediately following the disciples witnessing Jesus healing many people, including the Centurion's servant from miles away, and Peter's own mother-in-law. I have sometimes marveled at this story, and others like it, aghast that the disciples could have possibly forgotten all that had just transpired, and been afraid of a storm, when the power of Jesus had been so clearly demonstrated.  
    But I have been realizing that I'm not so different from the disciples.

"Why are you afraid, oh you of little faith?".

Yep, that would definitely apply to me.

How often do we as Christians become fearful of the earthly struggles we deal with? How often do we so easily forget all of the times that the Lord has provided for us, taken care of us.
This doesn't mean that he will always work and provide for us in the way we want, or the way we think would be best. It also doesn't mean we won't be frustrated, and struggle on a daily basis. He promises us in John 16:33:

"In this world you will have trials and tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."

He has overcome the world.

How can this change my perspective? My response to the worries of the world?
How can this prompt you to Choose His Joy?

Hanna Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment